[R] Sunset in Dortmund

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Thu Jul 3 17:57:01 CEST 2008

on 07/03/2008 09:21 AM John Kane wrote:

> [...]

At the peril of taking this thread further astray, I agree, having been
one in my youth growing up in and around New York City in the 60's and
70's. My cousin had an extensive Lionel O gauge model set in his attic
and I always aspired to having my own, though it never happened due to
the lack of room.

I used to frequently travel into Manhattan via subway (lived in Queens
at the time) and would spend hours at a model train hobby store in the
mid-40's. Great place where you walked in downstairs below street level
to find a wonderful collection of model trains and related items. I
think I found it:

   http://www.theredcaboose.com/

I fell in love with the Märklin brand German model trains
(http://www.marklin.com/) and designed my "never to be" layout upon them.

Just found an article from 2003 that references it:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F06E7D81331F936A25752C0A9659C8B63

OK...enough reminiscing...back to work...  :-)

Regards,

Marc