[R] select.list() cannot be used non-interactively

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 3 13:46:32 CEST 2008

Note that the current version of R is 2.7.1, and 2.6.2 is the
previous-but-one version of R.  The 'previous version', 2.7.0, behaves in
the same way as 2.6.2, as does a version as old as 2.4.0.

If there was a version that asked for interaction in a non-interactive
session, it had a bug that was corrected long ago.

If you want to interact with R, you need to run R interactively.

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, Fabio Fanoni wrote:

> Hi. With the previous version of R, it was possible to execute the
> function 'select.list()' in BATCH mode. In this way, I could write my R
> code in a .R file and execute that with a double click on a .bat file,
> that contain the instruction tu run my R code in batch mode (R CMD BATCH
> myRcode.R). When I do that, a windows appear and I just have to select
> an item from the list. Now I've installed the version 2.6.2 and this
> function is fobidden with this error message in the .Rout file:
>
> type<-select.list(list=c("Type 1","Type 2","Type 3"))
> Error in select.list(list = c("Type 1", "Type 2", "Type 3"):   select.list() cannot be used non-interactivelyExecution halted
>
> Why?
> How can I solve my problem?
> winDialog and winDialogString work correctly!

Actually, it seems that they do not.