[R] How do I paste double quotes arround a character string?

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Jul 3 12:08:39 CEST 2008

Hi Philip,
I think a bit more clarification may be useful yet!

1: How are you sending the command from R to Linux?
2: What is the command intended to be (as seen by Linux)?
   And from what source (quasi-command line; script file; ...)
   would it be read by Linux?

For example, on my Linux machine, I just did (in a shell
command line):

ted at deb:~$ touch "New Mexico"
ted at deb:~$ ls -l "New Mexico"
-rw-r--r-- 1 ted ted 0 2008-07-03 10:58 New Mexico

and then, in R, I did:

> system("ls -l \"New Mexico\"")
-rw-r--r-- 1 ted ted 0 2008-07-03 10:58 New Mexico

so I don't seem to have had the problem you describe below.

On the other hand, back in Linux, if I do:

ted at deb:~$ ls -l \"New Mexico\"
ls: "New: No such file or directory
ls: Mexico": No such file or directory

which looks like the problem you describe -- so clearly the
command did not get through in that form from R using the
command system("ls -l \"New Mexico\"").

Best wishes,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861