[R] Can't install package Matrix on solaris.

Scott Brown Scott.Brown at newcastle.edu.au
Wed Jul 2 14:24:26 CEST 2008

I'm using package Matrix, which I have installed on several flavours of linux system. But on an important solaris install, I can't make it work.

Initially, I thought the problem was using 'make' instead of 'gmake', but I masked around that, and still get errors. Those new errors seem to be related to 'cc' wanting some optional extras that I don't have installed. Any idea what they are? Or how I can persuade CMD INSTALL to use 'gcc' or something else that works?

I don't have root privileges on this system, just in case that's important for the kind of solution you were thinking of.

Here's an example of two kinds of errors I get:

FIRST KIND OF ERROR, WHEN USING 'MAKE':
  ces-409034-sdb231:  R CMD INSTALL -l ~/R Matrix_0.999375-4.tar.gz
  * Installing *source* package 'Matrix' ...
  ** libs
  ** arch -
  make: Fatal error in reader: Makefile, line 9: Unexpected end of line seen
  ERROR: compilation failed for package 'Matrix'
  ** Removing '/home/sdb231/R/Matrix'

SECOND KIND OF ERROR, USING 'GMAKE':
  ces-409034-sdb231: R CMD INSTALL -l ~/R Matrix_0.999375-4.tar.gz
  * Installing *source* package 'Matrix' ...
  ** libs
  ** arch -
  cc -I/usr/local/R-2.7.1/lib/R/include  -I/usr/local/include   -I./UFconfig
    -g -c CHMfactor.c -o CHMfactor.o
    /usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed
  gmake: *** [CHMfactor.o] Error 1