[R] plot.zoo labels

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 05:42:38 CEST 2008

xy.labels is used to control text by the individual points when
plotting scatterplots of one zoo series vs. another -- not the axis
labels. e.g.

library(zoo)
set.seed(1)
z <- zoo(rnorm(10))
plot(z, z, xy.label = letters[1:10])

Assuming a single panel plot this will suppress the x axis label
but still plot the tick marks:

plot(z, xaxt = "n")
axis(1, lab = FALSE) # adds ticks

Also on the ?axis page see padj= and on the ?par page see cex.axis, mar and tcl.

For multipanel plots panel functions are used.
See examples in ?plot.zoo and Question 8 of vignette("zoo-faq")
These examples cover both single and multipanel plots and illustrate some
of these parameters.

Alternately note that xyplot.zoo is based on lattice.  See the lattice
documentation for that approach.