[R] Convert string for expression in plot

Richard Longland longland at physics.unc.edu
Tue Jan 29 21:33:15 CET 2008

Thanks for the help. This substitute command might be what I'm after,
but, the whole string is being read in from a file. So I can't
explicitly write the thing out as you did in your example, as with your
example in R-news.

My rules are:
Convert any ",g" or "g," to ",gamma" or "gamma,"
  (This comma search avoids converting the Mg to Mgamma!)
Make ANY number a superscript.

Currently, this is what I do:

# Read in the reaction name, not very elegant I know
ReacName <-
as.character(read.table("file.dat",skip=0,header=FALSE,nrows=1)$V1)
print(ReacName)

# convert and numbers and g
ReacName <- sub(",g",",gamma",ReacName)
ReacName <- sub("g,","gamma,",ReacName)
ReacName <- gsub("([1-9])","phantom()^\\1",ReacName)
print(ReacName)

This results in:
25Mg(p,g)
phantom()^2phantom()^5Mg(p,gamma)

Just to clarify quickly, The text will always be different. The Mg could
be Al, S etc. The p could be different also. So the whole name has to be
automated into the plot title.

I imagine it's possible to split this string into pieces... but there
must be a better and easier way to do this.

Thanks again for the help,
Richard