[R] Linux, UNIX, XP32, Vista X64 or ...? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 01:38:14 CET 2008

On the PC there is a builtin GUI but not on UNIX and there are
some packages that are OS specific in which case you might
get more or less selection but probably more.  Also depending
on the specific system you may have greater difficulty installing
certain packages due to the need to compile them on UNIX
and the possibility exists that you don't quite have the right
libraries.  On Windows you get binaries so this is not a problem.
I have repeatedly found that common packages that I took
for granted on Windows had some problem with installation
on UNIX and I had to hunt around and figure out what the problem
was with my UNIDX libraries or possibly some other problem.
For all R packages this won't be a problem but for packages
that use C and FORTRAN this can be.  Although I am lumping
all UNIX systems together I think this varies quite a bit from
one particular type/distro of UNIX/Linux to another and I suspect if you
are careful in picking out the right one (if you have a choice) you
will actually have zero problems.