[R] latex{Hmisc} cannot find xdvi on MAC OS X

Kevin E. Thorpe kevin.thorpe at utoronto.ca
Wed Jan 23 15:22:38 CET 2008

Hello.

I am posting this on behalf of a student in my class.  I have been
introducing them to R.

I suspect that the problem I need help with is not so much an R
issue, but a MAC config issue, but I don't have enough MAC
experience to know what to do.

Anyway, on to the problem.  We are using Frank Harrell's Hmisc
and Design packages.  This student also wishes to use the latex
formatting facilities provided in those packages so she has installed
LaTeX.

When she does something like latex(describe(dataframe)), the latex
file is produced, the dvi file is successfully written but then
the error "sh: line 1: xdvi: command not found" appears.

I started a terminal and a "which xdvi" returned the path
where it found xdvi.  So, it appears that xdvi is in the
PATH.

My apologies, I forgot to get her sessionInfo() but I think
she is running R 2.6.?

--
Kevin E. Thorpe
Biostatistician/Trialist, Knowledge Translation Program