[R] R on Linux 64-bit

Peter Dalgaard P.Dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Jan 21 18:50:23 CET 2008

Maura E Monville wrote:
> I have been running R on my Linux/SuSE for over 2 months. I know it
> works.
> Some time ago it aborted as it ran out of memory in spite of having
> 2GB RAM + swap. Someone in this forum asked me whether I had compiled
> with the 64-bit libraries or the 32-bit since my computer is a 64-bit
> architecture.
> Therefore my question is about the "configure" procedure I have
> downloaded.
> Which parameters/options should I use with this configuration file in
> order to get a 64-bit executable R ?
> Last Friday my computer X server was messed up presumably by the
> on-line installation of upgrade patches. I am reinstalling all the
> applications after reinstalling the O.S.

Just do what I told you to:

> .Machine$sizeof.pointer
[1] 8

If you get 4 rather than 8, then you have a 32bit install. If you are
running a 64 bit SUSE, the nonobvious issue is how to set up  for 32
bits, so I'd be surprised if that is what you have.

Unless you have considerably more than 2 GB of swap, then you are as
likely to run out of memory in 64 bits as you are in 32 bits. More
so,actually, because objects are bigger in 64 bits.

    -p