[R] Rmpi on Linux x86_64 GNU/Linux

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Jan 17 14:22:32 CET 2008

Brian,

On 16 January 2008 at 11:26, Brian O'Gorman wrote:
| I'm having trouble with R CMD INSTALL Rmpi_0.5-5.tar.gz
| --configure-args=~/lam
|
| lam is is installed locally.
| lamboot  -d (or lamboot-d and also recon) works. make -k check from the
| lamtest suite passes all tests.
| Is this is problem with the -fPIC compiler as in the message? Should it
| be modified in the Makefile?
| Any help or comments are appreciated, thanks.

Rmpi has been in Debian, and hence on more than ten architectures, incl
several 64 bits ones, for a few years now.  While that doesn't benefit you
directly if you're not on a Debian system (or on a derivative like Ubuntu),
you could look at the configuration we use.  The .diff.gz files contain the
file debian/rules -- a Makefile that governs how we call configure et.

For Rmpi, we just call 'R CMD INSTALL' as usual. So your problem may well be
with your local LAM library.  See

	http://packages.debian.org/lam4

for the LAM configuration. We still use LAM 7.1.2.

I do recall, however, that I had difficulties building Rmpi (locally at work)
with LAM 7.1.3 and 7.1.4 before we switched to Open MPI.  With current Open
MPI and Rmpi packages, everything just works for me.

Hope this helps, ping me offline if you have questions.

Regards, Dirk