[R] Grouping data

K. Elo maillists at nic.fi
Wed Jan 16 21:06:23 CET 2008

Hi,

I am quite new to R (but like it very much!), so please apologize if
this is a too simple question.

I have a large data frame consisting of data from a survey. There is,
for example, information about age and education (a numeric value from
1-9). Now I would like to extract the total amount of each type of
education within different age groups (e.g. from 18 to 25, from 25 to
35 etc.). How could I achieve this? (I have been thinking about
using 'subset', but if there are better ideas they are welcome :) )

An example might clarify my point. Let's assume the following data:
#	age	edu
1	25	2
2	33	5
3	22	3