[R] Analytical Optimization (Stat question)

francogrex francogrex at mail.com
Wed Jan 16 12:06:37 CET 2008

Dear Experts, this is more a general stat question, I tried to ask in other
places but had no luck with answers (expect one that suggested numerical
instead of analytical optimization):
The likelihood below is a mixture of two negative binomial
P*f(n;x1,x2,E) + (1-P)*f(n;x3,x4,E)
N and E are vectors of same length. I would like to find the fist
derivatives with respect to x1,x2,x3,x4 and P (so that I can set them
to zero and calculate a bayesian MLE by iterations according to  David
"Bayesian Modeling, Inference and Prediction").
Does anyone have a "quick and dirty" way? To avoid drawning in rather
complicated math...
Here's the transcription of the likelihood in S language: