[R] An "R is slow"-article

Robin Hankin r.hankin at noc.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jan 9 17:03:48 CET 2008

Hello Gustaf, List.

Thanks Gustaf for your post!

well I am working pretty intensively with fisher.test() right now, as
some of you will know.

The comparison is not fair:  R's fisher.test() does a whole
bunch of error checking and testing for the size of the
input matrix and assessing of other arguments, and
puts together a nice little list of class "htest".

The C routine does none of this.

The clincher is that fisher.test() as called gives an estimate
for the odds ratio using uniroot() to numerically solve an
equation in terms of the hypergeometric probability
distribution.  This takes a looooonnnngggg time, but
one doesn't notice it in a standard R session.

Sorry, but the time comparison is simply not worth reporting.