[R] An "R is slow"-article

Gustaf Rydevik gustaf.rydevik at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 16:25:22 CET 2008

Hi all,

Reading the wikipedia page on R, I stumbled across the following:
http://fluff.info/blog/arch/00000172.htm

It does seem interesting that the C execution is that much slower from
R than from a native C program. Could any of the more technically
knowledgeable people explain why this is so?

The author also have some thought-provoking opinions on R being
no-good and that you should write everything in C instead (mainly
because R is slow and too good at graphics, encouraging data
snooping). See  http://fluff.info/blog/arch/00000041.htm
 While I don't agree (granted, I can't really write C), it was
interesting to read something from a very different perspective than
I'm used to.

Best regards,

Gustaf

_____
Department of Epidemiology,
Swedish Institute for Infectious Disease Control
work email: gustaf.rydevik at smi dot ki dot se
skype:gustaf_rydevik