[R] Installing R on ubuntu dapper

Emmanuel Charpentier charpent at bacbuc.dyndns.org
Tue Jan 8 01:25:37 CET 2008

hadley wickham a écrit :
> I followed the instructions at
> http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/README.html, but I'm
> getting the following error:
>
> ~: sudo apt-get install r-base
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.
>
> Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
> the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
> that package should be filed.

>   r-base: Depends: r-base-core (>= 2.6.1-1dapper0) but it is not installable
>           Depends: r-recommended (= 2.6.1-1dapper0) but it is not
> going to be installed
> E: Broken packages

 Huh ?

Ubuntu i386 packages install with no problem. However, x86_64 is more
problematic : these packages are not built in the CRAN repositories.
IIRC, r-base is an "all architectures" packages (mostly a meta-package),
while r-base-core and r-recommended are binaries. Therefore, r-base is
indeed available, while r-base-core and r-recommended are not. Hence the
jam...

I have been able to rebuild x86-64 packages on Ubuntu Gutsy starting
from the Debian sources ; a cursory check lets me think that these
builds are correct. Let me know if you want them (no guarantees : caveat
emptor).

I plan to check them extensively and propose them to the SIG-Debian
mailing list, but this will have to wait...

HTH,

					Emmanuel Charpentier