[R] Suggestion on how to make permanent changes to a single object in a list?

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 22:45:37 CET 2008

You might want to consider using the proto package. Otherwise,
functions that end in <- have the ability to alter their arguments.
Look at the following (admittedly not very natural) construct:

`fooModifier<-` <- function( foo, value ) {
     foo$bar <- "bar"
}

fooModifier( fooStack[[ 1 ]] ) <- NULL

 > fooStack
[[1]]
[1] "bar"

[[2]]
list()

[[3]]
list()

[[4]]
list()

[[5]]
list()

I agree, that it would be nice to be able to do this more easily.
Haris Skiadas
Hanover College