[R] Windows Shell Command under Vista

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Thu Jan 3 08:21:30 CET 2008

Gabor Grothendieck <ggrothendieck <at> gmail.com> writes:

> How are you starting up the command line?  If I position myself to the right
> side of the Windows Explorer window in Vista and press Shift-RightClick and
> then  choose Open Command Window Here then the command window
> comes up instantaneously on my system -- there is no discernable delay
> at all.

Same method for me (I only made it always visible to avoid the Shift). 19
Seconds on the first call, 11 Second later on a brand-new system. This is
Click-To-Visible time, processing starts earlier, when I start Sweave with
short files it has finished processing before the box is on screen.
I normally start from scratch, so clicking .Rdata is not an option.

I have given up the shell approach, using AutoHotKey instead, which is
convenient since it picks the currently selected directory from Explorer and
can also be used to start Sweave-make.

#Include ExplorerWindowControl.ahk ; << Defines Shellfolder
; This overrides Start/R which I never use
#r::Run,rgui.exe --no-restore --no-save --internet2, % ShellFolder()

Dieter