[R] Windows Shell Command under Vista

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 03:24:47 CET 2008

On Jan 2, 2008 9:49 AM, Dieter Menne <dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de> wrote:
> Dear R2008,
>
> In Windows 2000, I used the following shell extension to allow right-click
> rgui start in a directory (assuming rgui.exe is on the path:
>
> -----
> REGEDIT4
>

> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Run R]
>

> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Run R\command]
> @="Rgui.exe --no-restore --no-save --internet2"
> ----
>
> I switched to Vista this year. For reasons I don't understand, I have to
> give the full path now, even if rgui is on the path. However, the solution

Try this batch file which is in the devel svn repository of batchfiles:
http://batchfiles.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/RguiStart.bat

(Also see: http://batchfiles.googlecode.com)

Given a directory specified in argument 1 it will find R in the
registry (and look in a few
other places if not found there) and start Rgui.exe in specified directory.
This has the additional benefit that when you upgrade to a new version
of R you don't have to change anything.

> below does not really work, getwd() is always in \windows\system32. I tried
> several cmd.exe "..." variations, without success (strangled by "\""\"?) And
> a nasty feature of Vista is the long delay of 19 seconds until a command box
> comes up on my computer.

How are you starting up the command line?  If I position myself to the right
side of the Windows Explorer window in Vista and press Shift-RightClick and then
choose Open Command Window Here then the command window
comes up instantaneously on my system -- there is no discernable delay
at all.