[R] numeric format

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Wed Feb 27 07:06:15 CET 2008

While we're at it, and since you're new...

Your example will be much easier for r-help folks to read if you do
it like this:

j <- 0.4
for(i in 1:20) {
   j=j+0.1
   cp[i] <- pnorm(-j*3)*10^6
   ratio[i] <- j
}

  table <- data.frame(ratio,cp)
  table

But the loop is unnecessary. Try

j <- seq(0.5, by=0.1, length=20)
tbl <- data.frame(ratio=j, cp= pnorm(-3*j)*10^6)

Also, the formatting you are getting is not, I don't think, the default. I get:

>  j <- seq(0.5, by=0.1, length=20)
>  tbl <- data.frame(ratio=j, cp= pnorm(-3*j)*10^6)
>  head(tbl)
   ratio        cp
1   0.5 66807.201
2   0.6 35930.319
3   0.7 17864.421
4   0.8  8197.536
5   0.9  3466.974
6   1.0  1349.898

Note that they are aligned to all have 3 places after the decimal point.

Do you want the actual cp values to be adjusted to have some other
number of decimal places, or do you just want the format changed?

For the former, use, for example, round(cp,1).

For the latter, it kind of depends on your ultimate goal. If you want
to control the number of decimal places, because you're going to move
it into a report, for example, you might try looking into the
formatC() and use something like

formatC(tbl$cp,digits=1,format='f')

As in,

>  tbl$cp <- formatC(tbl$cp,digits=1,format='f')
>  head(tbl)
   ratio      cp
1   0.5 66807.2
2   0.6 35930.3
3   0.7 17864.4
4   0.8  8197.5
5   0.9  3467.0
6   1.0  1349.9

To get rid of the row labels, you will have to use Rolf's suggestion,
or perhaps delve into the write.table function.

-Don