[R] mixed model nested ANOVA (part two)

Mark Difford mark_difford at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Feb 24 22:07:29 CET 2008

Hi Stephen,

>> Also i have read in Quinn and Keough 2002, design and analysis of
>> experiments for
>> biologists, that a variance component analysis should only be conducted
>> after a rejection
>> of the null hypothesis of no variance at that level.

Once again the caveat: there are experts on this list who really know about
this stuff, and I am not one of them.  Your general strategy would be to set
up two models with the same fixed effects, one of which doesn't have random
effects.  You then test the two models using anova(mod.withRandom,
modWithoutRandom).

I haven't tried this using lmer/2(), but with lme() you do this by fitting
your fixed+random effects model using lme() and your fixed-only effects
model using lm().  If you are using weights to model heteroskedasticity,
then it's better to use gls(), as this will accept the same weights argument
as the call to lme().

Then you simply do anova(lme.model, lm/gls.model).  This tells you about the
significance of your random effects, i.e. whether you need a random-effects
component.

To recap:
mod.rand <- lme(fixed=y ~ x, random=~x|Site, data=...)
mod,fix <- lm(fixed=y ~ x, data=...)

anova(mod.rand, mod.fix)

HTH, Mark.