[R] Getting started help

Mark Difford mark_difford at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 19 18:47:53 CET 2008

Hi Rthoughts,

Yes, I see now that they truly are (just) Rthoughts;) but take courage, for
we are getting closer (to the start).  You still need to read the basic
documentation, and you will get used to the command line.

What I think you need is a package called Rcmdr.  So, start R using your
desktop icon, click on the Packages menu, then on Install package(s)..., and
then scroll down and choose Rcmdr (you will probably first be asked to
choose a download site). For you the TeachingDemos plugin is a good
additional choice.  Click OK.

Once Rcmdr has been installed, type the following at R's command prompt:

require(Rcmdr)    ## loads Rcmdr and runs it

You can now switch windows between Rcmdr and R.  Again, at the R prompt type
the following commands:

require(datasets)
?datasets
data(ChickWeight)      ## careful: R is case sensitive!
ls()                           ## try ?ls

Now, switch to the Rcmdr window and use the "Data set:" button to load
ChickWeight into Rcmdr's workspace.  Now mess with it; or load another data
set, more to your taste.  Use Rcmdr's Tools menu to load any plugins you
installed.

ls()
str(ChickWeight)        ## try ?str
summary(ChickWeight)