[R] question on function arguments

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Feb 19 12:48:06 CET 2008

On 18/02/2008 4:53 AM, baptiste Auguié wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two small issues with my R code, no big deal but curiosity
> really. Here is a sample code,
>

>> x <- rnorm(1:10)
>>
>> foo <- function(a = 1, b = list(x = c(1:10), y = c(1:10))){
>>
>> 	for (ii in seq(along=b$y)){
>>
>> 		print(x[ii] + b$x[ii])
>> 	}
>>

>> }
>>
>> foo() # default OK
>>
>> foo(b=list(x=1, y=c(1:10))) # only the first term works
>>
>> foo(b$y = 1:5) # error
>>

> In the last call, i wish to use all default arguments but b$y (that
> is, using the default a and b$x). Is this possible?

No, arguments are a simple list where you use the defaults or you don't.
  You can't treat them as a hierarchical structure.

> The second call is more related to indices: i would like my argument b
> $x to be either a vector (default), or a scalar. In the latter, the
> loop b$x[ii] breaks when i would like it to recycle the single value.
> I can check the length of b$x with a "if" statement, but it becomes
> intricate when several arguments have this option of being vector or
> scalar. Is there a way to use b$x that would work in both cases?

The normal way to do this is to standardize the length of the object
early in the function, e.g.

  len <- max(length(b$y), length(b$x))
  b$y <- rep(b$y, length=len)
  b$x <- rep(b$x, length=len)

Another way (which is the way used internally in the C implementation)
is to compute an index using the recycling rules, but that's probably
not efficient in R code, e.g. you'd need

b$x[ (ii - 1) %% length(b$x) + 1 ]

in place of b$x[ii] (and this solution is not general; it doesn't handle
zero or negative indices properly).

Duncan Murdoch