[R] how to plot image() without painting a map (the background)

Ptit_Bleu ptit_bleu at yahoo.fr
Mon Feb 18 16:59:19 CET 2008

Hello,

I'm trying to plot dayly evolution of the temperature over France from
Global Forecast System files ("I'm trying" is the right expression...).

akilonlat03 is the temperature for different latitudes and longitudes à 3
o'clock.
akilonlat06 is the temperature for different latitudes and longitudes à 6
o'clock.

I would like to plot akilonlat03 and then akilonlat06 and keep the map of
France in background.
My script (see below) doesn't work as image "paints" the background as I
read somewhere in this forum.

So would have someone a solution to correct my script ?
Thanks in advance,
Ptit Bleu.

akilonlat03<-interp(lonlat03$Longitude, lonlat03$Latitude,
(5/9)*(lonlat03$TMP_200802150300-32))
akilonlat06<-interp(lonlat06$Longitude, lonlat06$Latitude,
(5/9)*(lonlat06$TMP_200802150600-32))

map('france')

image(akilonlat03, col=cm.colors(100), axes=FALSE, add=TRUE)
#contour(akilonlat03, col="blue", add=TRUE)
image(akilonlat06, col=cm.colors(100), axes=FALSE, add=TRUE)
#contour(akilonlat06, col="blue", add=TRUE)