[R] Weird SEs with effect()

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Feb 17 12:41:39 CET 2008

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008, Gustaf Granath wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> In fact I am still a little bit confused because I had read the
> ?effect help and the archives.
>
> ?effect says that the confidence intervals are on the linear predictor
> scale as well. Using exp() on the untransformed confidence intervals
> gives me the same values as summary(eff). My confidence intervals
> seems to be correct and reflects the results from my glm models.
>
> But when I use exp() to get the correct SEs on the response scale I
> get SEs that sometimes do not make sense at all. Interestingly I have

What exactly are you doing here?  I suspect you are not using the correct
formula to transform the SEs (you do not just exponeniate them), but
without the reproducible example asked for we cannot tell.

> found a trend. For my model with adjusted means ~ 0.5-1.5 I get huge
> SEs (SEs > 1, but my glm model shows significant differences between
> level 1 = 0.55 and level 2 = 1.15). Models with means around 10-20 my
> SEs are fine with exp(). Models with means around 75-125 my SEs get
> way too small with exp().
>
> Something is not right here (or maybe they are but I don not
> understand it) so I think my best option will be to use the confidence
> intervals instead of SEs in my plot.

If you want confidence intervals, you are better off computing those on a
reasonable scale and transforming then.  Or using a profile likelihood to
compute them (which will be equivariant under monotone scale
transformations).