[R] Problems with Rcmdr unter JGR (Windows XP)

Michael Bibo michael_bibo at health.qld.gov.au
Fri Feb 15 03:33:41 CET 2008

Willi Nagl <willi.nagl <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I try  to start Rmcdr from JGR. The Rmcdr-Windows comes up correctly; but
> the
>  Menu-Bar in the Rcmdr-Window goes away, if I try to go into the
> Rmcdr-Window.
>
>  I hope, someone has a solution.
>
> Regards, willi

My experience is that, under Windows,  you cannot run Rcmdr with either JGR or
(X)Emacs/ESS.  From John Fox's own 'An Introduction to ESS + XEmacs for Windows
Users of R': "The Rcmdr package does not run reliably under XEmacs/ESS for
Windows."  I get the same instability (Rcmdr not responding and then R crashing)
with Rcmdr and JGR.

Under Linux, I have had Emacs/ESS and Rcmdr running together.  I don't know
about JGR, as I don't presently have it installed on a Linux box.

If you want to use Rcmdr under Windows, the combination of R-Gui, Tinn-R and
Rcmdr works well.

Michael Bibo
Research Officer
Queensland Health