[R] Generalized nonlinear mixed model function?

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Thu Feb 14 19:24:45 CET 2008

Phillip J van Mantgem <pvanmantgem <at> usgs.gov> writes:

> I am wondering if there is an R function that could estimate a generalized
> nonlinear mixed model.

  Short answer: no (not really/not that I'm aware of).

  Long answer: AD Model Builder?  WinBUGS?  shortcuts like
nlme applied to the proportion dying,
with appropriate scaling of the variance (weights argument)?

   I'm afraid that a nonlinear generalized mixed model with
two random effects, although fairly straightforward to define,
is pretty darned difficult to solve reliably ...

  cheers
    Ben Bolker