[R] User defined split function in Rpart

Terry Therneau therneau at mayo.edu
Thu Feb 14 15:33:03 CET 2008

  The question is about the direction vector in rpart.

  There are (at least) two preferred ways to lay out a tree, wrt the question of
which obs are sent left and which right.

    1. Send the smaller y values to the left.  In the final tree,  there will be
a graphical ordering with smaller y's to the left and larger ones to the right.
One has a "left bad, right good" orientation when traversing the tree.  I find
that medical researchers often like this.

    2. Send observations with x < cutpoint to the left.  Setting all elements of
the direction vector to -1 will give this behavior.

    I happen to slightly prefer option 1, which of course means that it became
the default behavior in rpart.  (For a categorical y with many levels, however,
rpart orders on the percent of observations in category 1, which may not be
particularly useful.)

    	Terry Therneau