[R] gWidgets process management

mcmahan at uchicago.edu mcmahan at uchicago.edu
Tue Feb 12 19:39:01 CET 2008

Hello,
I'm trying to make a graphical interface for an R function
I've written. A common use for the function is to call it with
specific parameters, and then watch the output as it evolves.
There's not necessarily a logical stopping point, so I usually
use ctrl-C when I'm done to stop it.
I've made a gWidgets interface to the function that gets some
user info and then on a button click calls the function. The
gWidgets window, however, seems to be frozen as long as the
function is running, and the function output seems to be
happening in the "background" in my R session, so ctrl-C (esc
on the Mac GUI) does not work to stop it. I have to kill R
entirely to stop the process.
So after all that setup here is my question:
Is there some way to have a gWidgets window interrupt a
function that it has called via a widget handler?
Thanks,
Peter