[R] fun.aggregate=mean in reshape

[Ricardo Rodriguez] Your XEN ICT Team webmaster at xen.net
Tue Feb 12 19:31:27 CET 2008

Sundar Dorai-Raj wrote:

> Do you have an object called 'mean' that's masking the base::mean
> function? I can replicate your error using the following:
>
> HTH,

It did! I had a mean object in the current workspace. Once it was
deleted, the argument works without a glitch.

Sorry for being late with this feedback but I've been isolated for a
bunch of hours.

I can reproduce the problem by recreating a mean object. Errors depend
on the type of object created and calling explicitly the argument as per
the following command (proposed by JiHO) doesn't help

 > cast(aqm, month ~ variable, fun.aggregate=mean)

Could it we advisable that cast, melt or whatever function we deal with
throws an more informative error message when this kind of conflicts
occur? I am guessing this is a pretty frequent situation, so if it is
not done there must be a number of good reasons!

Just my two cents!

Thanks for your help,

Ricardo

--