[R] gcc 4.3 any known issues?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 12 06:55:01 CET 2008

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008, Peter Dalgaard wrote:

> Stefan Grosse wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Fedora is for Fedora 9 switching to gcc 4.3. Before I test it (rawhide) I want
>> to be sure that R is running. So my question is whether there have been
>> issues compiling R + packages using 4.3?
>>
> I suspect that not many have tried.
>
> There is an R-2.6.2 RPM in Fedora 9 alpha, so _something_ seems to work.

But enough have to have sorted out many of the issues.  For example, the
gcc 4.3 series uses C99-style inlining and that has been implemented
(conditionally on GCC capabilities), and various bits of R have been
rewritten to work around mis-compiles by the gcc 4.3 branch.

But note that gcc 4.3 is not released and not even branched with rather a
lot of remaining regressions.  I'd be wary of using high levels of
optimization: last time I looked R failed to build correctly at -O3 on
x86_64, and there were more problems with packages.

Surely this is a topic that the posting guide directs to R-devel -- all
the issues mentioned are programming ones, not R ones.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk