[R] building packages for Linux vs. Windows

Paul Gilbert pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca
Mon Feb 11 15:44:07 CET 2008

Erin Hodgess wrote:
> Hi R People:
>
> I sure that this is a really easy question, but here goes:
>
> I'm trying to build a package that will run on both Linux and Windows.
>
> However, there are several commands in a section that will be
> different in Linux than they are in Windows.

Erin

Several people have indicated how to do this, but I encourage you to be
sure you really need to do it. Many things can be made to work the same
way on all OSs, and packages are much easier to maintain if you do not
have several variants.  You might consider posting a few example of
where you find this necessary, and ask if there is an OS independent way
to do it.

Paul Gilbert
> Would I be better off just to build two separate packages, please?
> If just one is needed, how could I determine which system is running
> in order to use the correct command, please?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Erin

La version française suit le texte anglais.