[R] The function predict

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Mon Feb 11 10:43:26 CET 2008

Carla Rebelo <crebelo <at> liaad.up.pt> writes:

> May you help me? I need to understand the function predict. I need to
> understand the algorithm implemented, the calculations associated. Where
> can I find this information?

In the documentation:

"predict is a generic function for predictions from the results of various model
fitting functions. The function invokes particular methods which depend on the
class of the first argument."

There is no information available for the default predict function, but there is
information for the predict.XXX implementations mentioned further below:

See Also

predict.glm, predict.lm, predict.loess, predict.nls, predict.poly,
predict.princomp, predict.smooth.spline.

For time-series prediction, predict.ar, predict.Arima, predict.arima0,
predict.HoltWinters, predict.StructTS.

For details, you should look into the examples provided with predict.lm (as the
simplest starter), and the code.

Dieter