[R] Using R in a university course: dealing with proposal comments

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 08:56:00 CET 2008

Hello Arin,

If your future students do not know statistics, you might consider
buffering their introduction to R with the help of a GUI package, such
as Rcmdr (if functionality is missing, you could add it yourself via
the plugin infrastructure). Another way to help students would be to
direct them to easy to use and straight-forward resources, like this
[1], this [2] or this [3]. On the "why not SPSS" point, I would
imagine the answer is quality and price, and all the corollary
arguments (say, you can use it at home or during the weekend, etc).

No more than my two cents.
Liviu

[1] http://oit.utk.edu/scc/RforSAS&SPSSusers.pdf
[2] http://www.statmethods.net/index.html