[R] [OT] good reference for mixed models and EM algorithm

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sun Feb 10 21:32:48 CET 2008

Hi, Erin:

      Have you looked at Pinheiro and Bates (2000) Mixed-Effects Models
in S and S-Plus (Springer)?

      As far as I know, Doug Bates has been the leading innovator in
this area for the past 20 years.  Pinheiro was one of his graduate
students.  The 'nlme' package was developed  by him or under his
supervision, and 'lme4' is his current development platform.  The
"~R\library\scripts" subdirectory contains "ch01.R", "ch02.R", etc. =
script files to work the examples in the book (where "~R" = your R
installation directory).  There are other good books, but I recommend
you start with Pinheiro and Bates.

      Spencer Graves