[R] How to search for packages - wrap up!

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Thu Feb 7 05:22:05 CET 2008

      What about doing more to promote the R Wiki?  Someone complained
to me that the R Wiki is not very useful.  However, I think with the
right encouragement, it could grow like the regular Wiki, which now has
over 9 million entries in over 250 languages.

      I think the R Wiki is ideal for things like the task views.  On
the R Wiki, they would be more dynamic and less work for the R core team
to maintain.  To those concerned about any lack of quality this might
entail, I would ask them to review how the standard Wiki is maintained:
They have an editorial board (or whatever it's called) with standard
procedures for refereeing disputes.  They routine edit entries with
comments like "needs references" or "This entry is in dispute" or "not
balanced".

      I'm a novice with writing and editing Wiki entries.  As my Wiki
literacy improves, I may start posting questions to the R Wiki, inviting
relevant package maintainers to edit my comments, clarifying how their
function is similar to or different from a function in another package.
If I don't get adequate replies from package maintainers, I may then ask
R-help or R-SIG-x for clarification.

      Spencer