[R] How to search for packages - wrap up!

Monica Pisica pisicandru at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 5 16:37:05 CET 2008

Hi everybody,

I have to recognize that my post certainly shows my lack of skills in really navigating the R web page .... i am surprised that only one or two persons wrote me  about the "Task Views" - it is what i was after - although maybe too general for my lazy taste - but hei - it is there and certainly makes my life easier. So - Thank you John and Gabor and Roger for pointing this out. I cannot believe that i never discovered this by myself ...... If anybody takes up the challenge Roger set up i would love to see it ;-))

>If you have a little time and want
>to really draw in the masses, try doing clickable image maps from the
>Bioconductor pkgDepTools:

>http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.1/bioc/html/pkgDepTools.html

>because some of the unobtrusive short-name packages are key nodes in package
>dependency graphs. The dependency trees are very illuminating. Automating the
>updates would be positive. If you could also run against the Task View listings,
>which are readily parsable, that would be very helpful.

Baron suggested this site: http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/

Hadley started this site - http://crantastic.org - which is great - and I hope others will take some time to tag some of the packages. I was amazed to find out that there are well over 1200 different packages for R ;-) And as others pointed out - it will be a very nice addition to Task Views.

Thanks all for your answers,

Monica