[R] help with oop in R - class structure and syntex

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 15:09:30 CET 2008

This illustration uses S3.  Note that functions do not modify their arguments
so to modify an object we have to pass it to the method and then pass the
object back.  There is also another system called S4 which involves typing
of arguments and there are packages proto and R.oo which provide different
OO models.

# define constructors for bicycle and mountainBike classes
Bicycle <- function(cadence, gear, speed) structure(list(cadence =
cadence, gear = gear, speed = speed), class = "bicycle")
MountainBike <- function(cadence, gear, speed, seatHeight) {
   x <- Bicycle(cadence, gear, speed)
   x$seatHeight <- seatHeight
   class(x) <- c(class(x), "mountainBike")
}

# define generic setCadence and then methods for each class

setCadence <- function(x, cadence) UseMethod("setCadence")
setCadence.bicycle <- function(x, cadence) { x$cadence <- cadence; x }

# mountBike's setCadence method overrides bicycle's setCadence method
setCadence.mountBike <- function(x, cadence) { x$cadence <- cadence + 1; x }

# list the setCadence methods avialable
methods(setCadence)

# define a generic applyBrake and a "bicycle" method
# mountainBike will inherit the bicycle method by default
applyBrake <- function(x, decrement) UseMethod("applyBrake")
applyBrake.bicycle <- function(x, decrement) { x$speed <- x$speed - decrement }

# list the applyBrake methods available
methods(applyBrake)

b <- Bicycle(1, 2, 3)
m <- MountainBike(4, 5, 6, 7)