[R] How to search for packages

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Feb 4 18:54:29 CET 2008

hadley wickham <h.wickham <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > Also it is staggering that there are over 1200 packages for R .... i was
suspecting close to 1000  .....

> And the site is a couple of weeks out of date, so there are probably even more.

The real answer was Task Views on CRAN (most of the OQs topics *are* already
Task Views), so crantastic is very partial. If you have a little time and want
to really draw in the masses, try doing clickable image maps from the
Bioconductor pkgDepTools:

http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.1/bioc/html/pkgDepTools.html

because some of the unobtrusive short-name packages are key nodes in package
dependency graphs. The dependency trees are very illuminating. Automating the
updates would be positive. If you could also run against the Task View listings,
which are readily parsable, that would be very helpful.

Roger