[R] How to search for packages

john seers (IFR) john.seers at bbsrc.ac.uk
Mon Feb 4 16:03:00 CET 2008

Hi

I think this is a good suggestion.

And I would like to add the associated problem of deciding between
packages that do the same function which one is "better". Or similarly
packages are often superceded. I find I have to spend a lot of time
learning how to use packages to decide which one is most suitable; or I
spend time with a package to eventually find out it was superceded some
time ago or has been incorporated in another package.

It is also difficult to know how packages fit together (or not).
Functionality often overlaps or is duplicated. I have had some
difficulty with microarray packages - not being sure if they complement
each other or are exclusive to each other. (I know that is more
Bioconductor but the same principle applies in pure R packages, though
perhaps not as pronounced a problem).

Regards

JS

---