[R] [OT?] Question on bootstrapping

Matthias Gondan matthias-gondan at gmx.de
Sat Feb 2 18:02:35 CET 2008

Dear list,

This is off-topic, but perhaps there is an expert out there who can help
me in
a bootstrapping test.

I have two samples A, B from, say, a normal distribution. A third sample R
is the vector of pairwise minima of  the same random variables:

A = rnorm(100)
B = rnorm(100)

A2 = rnorm(100)
B2 = rnorm(100)
R = pmin(A2, B2)

For some purposes, I want to do some bootstrapping. From A and B, this
should not be a problem:

sa = sample(A, replace=T)
sb = sample(B, replace=T)

But for the minima distribution, I have the "feeling" (sorry) that the
bootstrapped
values are systematically too high:

a2 = sample(A, replace=T)
b2 = sample(B, replace=T)
sr = pmin(a2, b2)

Can anybody give me a hint whether my feeling is correct, and perhaps
indicate
some literature in which such issues are handled?

Best wishes,

Matthias