[R] about randomForest

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Sat Dec 27 17:04:34 CET 2008

wanghong wrote:
> hello,
> I want to use randomForest to classify a matrix which is 331030×42,the last column is class signal.I use :
> Memebers.rf<-randomForest(class~.,data=Memebers,proximity=TRUE,mtry=6,ntree=200) which told me" the error is matrix(0,n,n) set too elements"

I doubt "the error is matrix(0,n,n) set too elements" is really an error
message from randomForest.
I'd rather get "Error in matrix(0, n, n) : too many elements specified"
which tells us that randomForest cannot deal with such a huge
*data.frame* (rather than a matrix, I guess).

Finally, what do you think how much RAM will be required to store 200
trees grown with default setting on such a huge data.frame? I doubt it
will fit on your whole HDD (without having done any calculations), but
never in your RAM.

> then I use:
> Memebers.rf<-randomForest(class~.,data=Memebers,importance=TRUE,proximity=TRUE) which told me"the error is na.fail.default(list(class = c(17L, 17L, 17L, 29L, 29L, 29L,  :
>   missing values in object
> "

Missing values?

Uwe Ligges