[R] 4 questions regarding hypothesis testing, survey package, ts on samples, plotting

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Thu Dec 25 21:00:21 CET 2008

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008, Peter Dalgaard wrote:

> Ben Bolker wrote:
>>

>> Khawaja, Aman wrote:
>>> I need to answer one of the question in my open source test is: What are
>>> the four questions asked about the parameters in hypothesis testing?
>>>

>> Please check the posting guide.
>> * We don't answer homework questions ("open source" doesn't mean
>> that other people answer the questions for you, it means you can find
>> the answers outside your own head -- and in any case, we don't have
>> any of way of knowing that the test is really open).
>> * this is not an R question but a statistics question
>> * please don't post the same question multiple times
>

> Besides, this is really unanswerable without access to your teaching material,
> which probably has a list of four questions somewhere...

Starting with 'Why is this parameter different from all other parameters?', perhaps.

> It is a bit like the History question: "Who was what in what of whom?"

A traditional British equivalent is "Who dragged whom how many times around the walls of where?", which does have just about enough context.

The R answer to the original post would probably be

1. Why aren't there any p-values in lmer()?
2. How do I extract p-values from lm()?
3. Can R do post-hoc tests?
4. Can R do tests of normality?

and in statistical consulting the questions might be

1. Doesn't that assume a Normal distribution?
2. Do you have a reference for that?
3. What was the power for that test?
4. Can you redo the test just in the left-handed avocado farmers[*]

         -thomas

[*] this particular subset (c) joel on software.