[R] AR(2) coefficient interpretation

Gerard M. Keogh GMKeogh at justice.ie
Wed Dec 24 12:02:12 CET 2008

Stephen,

when I think about you're problem I'm a little worried as it should be is
very simple.
If you think of a the more straightforward AR(1) model y_t = a0 + b*y_t-1
the intercept is the the value y_t=a0 on the scatterplot of y_t vs. y_t-1.
For your first series labelled "a" for example the scatter plot (in Excel)
shows that this intercept computed using the linest function is about
57,000,000.

For the 2-d regression y_t on y_t-1 and y_t-2 there are only 9 data points
and the ls parameters are

  b1       b2         a0

This gives quite  good fit to the data - the lm model in R should give the
same values (I havn't tried it).
Try it and see if the coeffs agree with arima - if not, it may be there's
something funny going on in arima in R.
So you want an AR model and you're unsure of arima use lm on lagged values.

Gerard

             "Stephen Oman"
             <stephen.oman at gma
             il.com>                                                    To
                                       "Gerard M. Keogh"
             23/12/2008 13:40          <GMKeogh at justice.ie>
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [R] AR(2) coefficient
                                       interpretation

Hi Gerard,

Thank you for your reply. My point is even though the model is not
suitable, the intercept shouldn't be 5 point sth when the univariate data
is more than 100 million so I wonder whether my interpretation of those
coefficients are correct. Anyway, i have done the acf and pacf and it seems
AR(2) is the right model. Stephen

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 8:33 AM, Gerard M. Keogh <GMKeogh at justice.ie>