[R] Error: cannot allocate vector of size 1.8 Gb

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Dec 23 09:15:19 CET 2008

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008, iamsilvermember wrote:

>> dim(data)
> [1] 22283    19
>
>> dm=dist(data, method = "euclidean", diag = FALSE, upper = FALSE, p = 2)
> Error: cannot allocate vector of size 1.8 Gb

That would be an object of size 1.8Gb.

See ?"Memory-limits"

> Hi Guys, thank you in advance for helping. :-D
>
> Recently I ran into the "cannot allocate vector of size 1.8GB" error.  I am
> pretty sure this is not a hardware limitation because it happens no matter I
> ran the R code in a 2.0Ghz Core Duo 2GB ram Mac or on a Intel Xeon 2x2.0Ghz
> quard-core 8GB ram Linux server.

Why? Both will have a 3GB address space limits unless the Xeon box is
64-bit.  And this works on my 64-bit Linux boxes.

> I also tried to clear the workspace before running the code too, but it
> didn't seem to help...
>
> Weird thing though is that once in a while it will work, but next when I run
> clustering on the above result
>> hc=hclust(dm, method = "complete", members=NULL)
> it give me the same error...

See ?"Memory-limits" for the first part.

> I searched around already, but the memory.limit, memory.size method does not
> seem to help.  May I know what can i do to resolve this problem?

What are you going to do with an agglomerative hierarchical clustering of
22283 objects?  It will not be interpretible.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk