[R] Error compiling R.2.8.1 with gcc 4.4 on Mac OS 10.5.6

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Dec 22 22:34:16 CET 2008

Mike Lawrence wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've encountered a build error with the latest R source (2.8.1). This is a
> relatively fresh install of OS Leopard (10.5.6), latest developer tools
> installed, gcc/g++/gfortran version 4.4 installed (via
> http://hpc.sourceforge.net/, after which I updated the gcc & g++ symlinks to
> link to the 4.4 versions; gfortran used the 4.4 version without updating the
> symlink).
>
> Ultimately I wanted to instalI pnmath, so as per a previous thread (
> http://www.nabble.com/Parallel-R-tt18173953.html#a18196319) I built with:
>
> LIBS=-lgomp ./configure --with-blas='-framework vecLib'
> make -j4
>
> The configure runs without a hitch, but make fails, throwing an error
> seemingly related to qdCocoa:
> making qdCocoa.d from qdCocoa.m
> <built-in>:0: internal compiler error: Abort trap
>
> Below is the output of configure, followed by the output of make (error is
> in the last 10 lines). Any suggestions to fix this would be greatly
> appreciated.

Ouch. As you probably realize, this is very Mac-specific, and the actual
bug is in GCC and has nothing to do with R.

I don't think  there's any obvious way to fix this, but there might be a
temporary workaround. I'd consider making the .d file by hand, so that
make doesn't even try to build it. You can probably rather easily create
one based on one of the other .d files in the same directory (.d files
are usually overkill, it is probably not necessary to get it completely
right.)

Next question is whether this GCC can handle .m files at all....