[R] Problems installing lme4 on Ubuntu

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Dec 20 04:53:05 CET 2008

On 19 December 2008 at 17:13, Bill Harris wrote:
| While I'm not an R expert, I have used R on Windows XP.  Now I've moved
| to Ubuntu (Intrepid), and I'm trying to configure R to work with the
| Gelman and Hill _Data Analysis Using Regression and
| Multilevel/Hierarchical Models_.  So far, it's not working.
|
| I start by following the instructions for installing arm and BRugs at
| <http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~gelman/bugsR/>.  At first, it kept
| failing, but I kept installing more Ubuntu packages.  Finally, I
| installed the science-statistics package, and things seemed to work: I
| got the required packages to show up as loaded when I run library().

First off, see the R FAQ and the Ubuntu README on CRAN:
   http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/

This shows you how you can get current R binaries with just one apt-get
command.  With that, you then get to decide if you want the prebuild r-cran-*
packages (as e.g. r-cran-lme4) or whether you want to built them yourself in
R via install.packages().  In which case r-base-dev will be helpful to
install needed packages.

Either way, I have no problems with lme4 etc. or arm, see below.

Also note that there is a Debian/Ubuntu specific mailing list r-sig-debian
where you may want to subscribe.  You are likely to find more focussed help
for Ubuntu there, and we'd be glad to walk you through individual steps.
Welcome to Debian and Ubuntu :)

Regards, Dirk

>From my Debian system running the beta release of R 2.8.1:

> library(arm)

Attaching package: 'Matrix'

        The following object(s) are masked from package:stats :

         xtabs

        The following object(s) are masked from package:base :

         colMeans,
         colSums,
         rcond,
         rowMeans,
         rowSums

Attaching package: 'coda'

        The following object(s) are masked from package:lme4 :

         HPDinterval

arm (Version 1.1-17, built: 2008-11-25)
Working directory is /home/edd
options( digits =  2 )

Attaching package: 'arm'

        The following object(s) are masked from package:coda :

         traceplot