[R] png() and jpg() devices acting weird.

Jeroen Ooms j.c.l.ooms at uu.nl
Fri Dec 19 21:46:38 CET 2008

I use a CentOS 5.2 VPS to generate graphs through an R web-application. I
generate generate both pdf() and png() formats of the graphs. The pdf works
just fine and generates perfect pictures. However, the figures generated by
the png() (and also the jpg) device are messed up.

The weird thing is that it does not generate an error. It does generate a
file with a figure of the correct size, but the figures are mostly just
white space, or small parts of the actual figure.

X11 is not installed on the machine so I have to use type="cairo". I have
tried installing and updating cairo, glib2, gtk+ in linux, and installed the
R-package "Cairo", but with no result.

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.8.0 (2008-10-20)
x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu