[R] formatting print statements with multiple lines

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Thu Dec 18 22:37:26 CET 2008

Dear Brigid,

cat() prints by default to standard output and invisibly returns NULL, which
print() prints. I think that what you want is

cat("Input criteria do not meet specifications.  Check input against the
following requirements:
            a >= 0
            b <= 0
            c >= 0 \n")

I hope this helps,
 John

------------------------------
John Fox, Professor
Department of Sociology
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
web: socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox

On
> Behalf Of Brigid Mooney
> Sent: December-18-08 4:22 PM
> To: r-help at r-project.org
> Subject: [R] formatting print statements with multiple lines
>
> When executing the command:
>
>     print(cat(paste("Input criteria does not meet specifications.  Check
> input against the following requirements:
>             a >= 0
>             b <= 0
>             c >= 0 ", sep=""), ""))
>
> I get:
> Input criteria does not meet specifications.  Check input against the
> following requirements:
>             a >= 0
>             b <= 0
>             c >= 0  NULL
> (with that extra NULL at the end).
>
> If I omit the 'cat' command, the NULL goes away, but I no longer get the
> next-line formatting that I want.
>
> I think I'm missing something about one of these functions returning a
NULL