[R] Trouble pulling data from a messy ASCII file...

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 20:49:20 CET 2008

I usually use Unix tools to process really data beforehand (sed, awk), but
if you want a pure R solution it is usually possible to kludge
something together
with scan() working line by line.

# read a line
# if it contains stuff you aren't interested in, go on to the next line
# if it contains one kind of interesting stuff, do X
# if it contains another kind of interesting stuff, do Y

and so on.

I've done this when it was easier than alternative processing (though
slower), and
found that it worked best for  me to read the entire line in as a
string, then split it
apart later and convert to numeric if appropriate.

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee
http://www.functionaldiversity.org