[R] Problems with graphical devices, e.g., png(), pdf(): blurry graphical output

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Dec 17 09:54:32 CET 2008

Your PDF problems indicate a broken viewer.  How were you viewing PDF?

You have also not told us how you view PNG, but you would expect
anti-aliased output to be blurry when viewed at 100% (or more).  You need
to be careful not to have anti-aliasing turned on in the viewer as well as
in the file producer.  Note that R does give you lots of options to tune
the output to your intended use of it, so you have no cause to complain if
you use an inappropriate set.

Do remember that you cannot say 'the graphical output is blurry': it is
just a binary file.  Far too often, useRs blame R for issues in the
viewers they use.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk